About Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa
The Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa is situated north of Mombasa on one of East Africa’s most stunning beaches. Palatial grounds, Arabic architecture and wonderful facilities make it simply ‘the’ place to stay on the Kenyan coast.
The ‘Whitesands Hotel Concept’ began in 1930 when Mr. H G Robertson bought a new house with two bedrooms flanked by a long lounge. Robertson was working as an Editor of Mombasa Times, which grew into the present day ‘Standard’. He called his new abode Whitesands Hotel. Ali Bin Salim – The Liwali (Chief) then gave him a few more acres of land on the beach.
In 1941 – Mrs. Stocker bought the ‘Whitesands Hotel’ from Robertson’s widow. She built a larger establishment of 8 cottages and Whitesands Hotel was officially open for business. The first guests were from the Royal Navy – a brigade of enlisted lady Sailors known as WRENS, who were sent to assist in shore duties. A phrase was coined at this time to describe the popular Whitesands Hotel as ‘Whitesands Hotel Waving Palms, Silver strands, Luck, Love, Romance and Revelry’.
In 1946 Mrs. Stocker sold Whitesands Hotel to David Durwood Brown. He is credited with making Whitesands Hotel popular with the locals and it became known as the “Pub by the sea”.
Some years later in 1960 Akberali Manzi bought Whitesands Hotel from David Durwood Brown. Seventy new rooms were built, the central complex was reconstructed and a boat bar was introduced – later a bathing pool called ‘LIDO’ was added. Renovation went on and by 1976, the ‘Pub by the Sea’ had been turned into a five star hotel.
In 1976 The Sarova Group of Companies bought the Whitesands Hotel and set into motion ambitious development plans which changed the hotel from 70 rooms in 1976 to 173 and then to 340 by 1996.
Currently, Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa has 340 rooms in the various room offerings Presidential suites, studio suites, executive suites, sea facing rooms, premier sea facing rooms, pool facing rooms and garden facing rooms.